Re: pg_dump doesn't save altered column information for inherited columns - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dump doesn't save altered column information for inherited columns
Date
List pgsql-bugs
<depstein@alliedtesting.com> writes:
> I noticed that when pg_dump saves SQL code for a table with inheritance, it does not save any information about
inheritedcolumns. This is fine when inherited columns do not undergo any modification, but when they do, that
informationis lost.

> Example:

> create table parent (id integer not null);

> create table child (value integer) inherits (parent);

> alter table child alter column id drop not null;

Actually, the bug here is that ALTER TABLE lets you do that.  Dropping
an inherited constraint should be disallowed, and is disallowed for the
case of CHECK constraints.  We haven't gotten around to enhancing the
NOT NULL infrastructure to detect that, but it's on the TODO list.
In the meantime, there's no point in modifying pg_dump to worry about
such cases.

            regards, tom lane