Re: Re: It happened again: Server hung up solid - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: It happened again: Server hung up solid
Date
List pgsql-hackers

>> I don't know ... this problem has me nervous, but I can't seem to
>> re-create it on the fly :(  It happened twice so far today, and I'm
>> working on improving logging to see if I can narrow it down ...
>>
>> I would like to *at least* postpone until Wednesday to see if I can
>> recreate this between now and then ... will spend a good part of tomorrow
>> seeing if I can get a more decent amount of data logged, to narrow her
>> down ...

> Isn't is something we can fix with a 7.0.1?  Seems many people are
> already using 7.0 in production systems.  I just hate to see the date
> slip again.

That's my feeling too.  Whatever this is, it seems to be in the
postmaster not the backend.  We've hardly changed the postmaster since
6.5.3, so I suspect the problem has existed for a good while and is of
low probability.  (I have no explanation why Marc's suddenly getting
bit, but if it weren't low-probability we'd surely have more reports
than just his, no?)

Almost certainly, we will need a 7.0.1 in a few weeks, once 7.0 gets out
there and starts getting pounded on by people outside the circle of
usual suspects (sorry, been watching _Casablanca_ again).  If we delay
7.0 until we can figure out what this bug is all about, we might be
sitting on it for days or weeks.  Let's push 7.0 out the door and let
some other work go on in parallel while we try to figure out this one.

Marc, if you see it happen again could you give me a call before you
restart?  I'd like to telnet in and poke at it a little myself.
(Wait a sec, is this happening on hub, or somewhere else?)