Efficiently storing a directed graph - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kelly Jones
Subject Efficiently storing a directed graph
Date
Re: Efficiently storing a directed graph  ("Adam Rich" <adam.r@sbcglobal.net>)
Re: Efficiently storing a directed graph  (Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com>)
List pgsql-general
I have a directed graph (nodes and edges) that I want to store
"efficiently": given two nodes, I want to quickly find the shortest
path between them. The graph is NOT acyclic (it's not a tree), is
fairly "sparse" (about 10000 edges for 2500 nodes), and changes
occasionally.

I know PostgreSQL/MySQL can store graphs (as one table of nodes and
one table of edges that reference the nodes), but I think finding the
shortest path between two nodes is quite inefficient that way.

I know PostgreSQL/MySQL have special "plugins" (like PostGIS for
PostgreSQL) for specific problems. Is there a directed graph plugin?

I'm not married to using SQL: are there other efficient solutions to
store directed graphs? Could I hack something up in Perl or Ruby and
then serialize my in-memory graph to a file (for efficient
saving/reloading)?

As a minor note, the nodes/edges will have (non-unique) names and
descriptions, and I want the ability to do fulltext searching on these
names/descriptions. However, this is less important than quickly
finding the shortest path between two nodes.