Re: Is this a bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Is this a bug?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On August 22, 2014 8:33:57 PM CEST, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 12:53:30PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 10:27:02AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

>to tighten that
>somewhat

>don't

>reloption
>> >
>> > Fine with me.  But I have a vague recollection of seeing pg_upgrade
>> > doing this on purpose to create TOAST tables or something... am I
>> > misremembering?
>>
>> Yes, you remember well.  I will have to find a different way for
>> pg_upgrade to call a no-op ALTER TABLE, which is fine.
>
>Looking at the ALTER TABLE options, I am going to put this check in a
>!IsBinaryUpgrade block so pg_upgrade can still use it?

Why not simply not do anything?  This doesn't prevent any bugs and requiring pg-upgrade specific checks in there seems
absurd.Also somebody might use it for similar purposes.

---
Please excuse brevity and formatting - I am writing this on my mobile phone.