Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: 2nd Level Buffer Cache
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mar 22, 2011, at 2:53 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 11:24 AM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 9:19 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> A related area that could use some looking at is why performance tops
>>> out at shared_buffers ~8GB and starts to fall thereafter.
>>
>> Under what circumstances does this happen?  Can a simple pgbench -S
>> with a large scaling factor elicit this behavior?
>
> To be honest, I'm mostly just reporting what I've heard Greg Smith say
> on this topic.   I don't have any machine with that kind of RAM.

When we started using 192G servers we tried switching our largest OLTP database (would have been about 1.2TB at the
time)from 8GB shared buffers to 28GB. Performance went down enough to notice; I don't have any solid metrics, but I'd
ballparkit at 10-15%.

One thing that I've always wondered about is the logic of having backends run the clocksweep on a normal basis. OS's
thatuse clock-sweep have a dedicated process to run the clock in the background, with the intent of keeping X amount of
pageson the free list. We actually have most of the mechanisms to do that, we just don't have the added process. I
believebg_writer was intended to handle that, but in reality I don't think it actually manages to keep much of anything
onthe free list. Once we have a performance testing environment I'd be interested to test a modified version that
includesa dedicated background clock sweep process that strives to keep X amount of buffers on the free list.
--
Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect                   jim@nasby.net