Re: BUG #17842: Adding a qual to a working query gets bogus syntax error - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #17842: Adding a qual to a working query gets bogus syntax error
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> During refactoring our application I got a bogus syntax error when adding a
> simple where-clause to a working query.

My guess is that this:

> ('0'||split_part(split_part(nline,'(',2),')',1))::smallint as nlen

sometimes produces a string that fails to cast to smallint, which you
accidentally don't notice because it never gets evaluated for troublesome
values of nline --- until you add the "nlen > 0" condition.  There isn't
anything in your query that prevents that from being evaluated fairly
early.

This isn't a bug, or at least you have provided no data that would
motivate (or indeed allow) anyone else to poke into it more closely.

            regards, tom lane