Re: INSERT performace. - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: INSERT performace.
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Marc Mitchell" <marcm@eisolution.com> writes:
> We have a fresh database and have begun to observe performance degradation
> for INSERTs as a table went from empty to 100,000-ish rows.  Initial
> INSERTs were sub second while after 30k rows, they were 1-3 seconds.

> Note that we have done NO performance tuning yet nor are there any indexes
> on the tables.

INSERT per se should be a constant-time operation: stick another tuple
on the end of the file.  There is undoubtedly something you're not
telling us about the database schema.  Foreign keys, triggers, rules,
constraints, something like that?

            regards, tom lane