Re: Updated instrumentation patch - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Updated instrumentation patch
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> Per recent discussion, here is yet another updated version of the
> instrumentation patch. Changes:

> * Added guc option "disable_remote_admin", that disables any write
> operations (write, unlink, rename) even for the superuser. Set as
> PGC_POSTMASTER so it cannot be changed remotely.

I was envisioning it as disabling all filesystem access --- read as well
as write.  Essentially the abstract concept I want is that with this on,
even a superuser cannot use Postgres to get at the underlying operating
system.  A name like "enable_filesystem_access" would probably be more
appropriate.

Also, as I already said, marking it as PGC_POSTMASTER is simply not
adequate security.  Once we have some sort of remote admin feature,
I would expect it to support adjustment of even postmaster-level options
(this would mean forcing a database restart of course) --- you can
hardly say that you have a complete remote admin solution if you can't
change shared_buffers or max_connections.

            regards, tom lane