Re: CPU Intensive query - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Abu Mushayeed
Subject Re: CPU Intensive query
Date
List pgsql-performance
> one of them has suddenly decided to get very slow

Is there a way to predict when the system will do this? Also, why would it suddenly go from IO intensive to CPU intensive.

Also, this query ran today and it already finished. Today it was IO intensive.

Please provide me some direction to this problem.

Thanks.

Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Abu Mushayeed writes:
> The query is as follows and it's explain plan is also attached:

The query itself seems to be a simple join over not too many rows, so
I don't see how it could be taking 24 hours. What I suspect is you're
incurring lots and lots of invocations of those user-written functions
and one of them has suddenly decided to get very slow.

http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
to find your fit.