Re: PgBackRest and WAL archive expiry - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christophe Pettus
Subject Re: PgBackRest and WAL archive expiry
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Sep 19, 2024, at 22:46, KK CHN <kkchn.in@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> 1. In the  EPAS server    I have   postgres.conf with
> archive_command = 'pgbackrest --stanza=EMI_Repo archive-push %p && cp %p  /data/archive/%f'
>
> The problem is that the   /data/archive  folder is growing  within a few days to 850GB  of 2 TB  partition.

The /data/archive directory is entirely under your control.  pgbackrest and PostgreSQL don't manage them in any way.
Itwill just keep growing indefinitely unless you take action to delete the WAL segments out of it.

There's no real benefit in maintaining that separate /data/archive directory; pgbackrest archives and manages the
lifecycleof the WAL segments in its repository.  I wouldn't bother with that separate archive, and just use pgbackrest.