Re: No server after starting - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Decibel!
Subject Re: No server after starting
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 18, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Bayless Kirtley wrote:
> First, I am new to Postgres. I am hoping to migrate an existing
> Java application from a couple of tried but unreliable open source
> Java databases. I have a fair amount of experience with Oracle,
> Informix and DB2 but it has been a few years. No on to my problem.
>
> I finally got PostgreSQL installed on Windows XP as a service.
> After restarting the computer, the Task Manager shows 5
> postgres.exe processes running. From a CMD window, I issue a pg_ctl
> status command and get the response: "No server running." What am I
> doing wrong. I took all the defaults on installation except for
> assigning a password rather than a random generated one.
>
> Earlier today, I had it installed as a program and all worked fine
> after creating and initializing the database cluster. I was able to
> start the database from a non-admin user. Then I could check status
> and even shutdown as an admin user. I have added the ...\bin
> directory to the PATH and added the PGDATA environment variable.
> After this, I decided to remove Postgres and reinstall it as a
> service.

I suspect that PGDATA might be set incorrectly; you should verify
that. You can see what directory it's actually using by connecting
and doing a SHOW data_directory;
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Attachment