Re: Difference between UNIQUE constraint vs index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Difference between UNIQUE constraint vs index
Date
Re: Difference between UNIQUE constraint vs index  (Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>)
Re: Difference between UNIQUE constraint vs index  ("John Jawed" <johnjawed@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
"Jim C. Nasby" <jim@nasby.net> writes:
> In some databases if you know that an index just happens to be unique
> you might gain some query performance by defining the index as unique,
> but I don't think the PostgreSQL planner is that smart.

Actually, the planner only pays attention to whether indexes are unique;
the notion of a unique constraint is outside its bounds.  In PG a unique
constraint is implemented by creating a unique index, and so there is
really not any interesting difference.

I would imagine that other DBMSes also enforce uniqueness by means of
indexes, because it'd be awful darn expensive to enforce the constraint
without one; but I'm only guessing here, not having looked.  Can anyone
point to a real system that enforces unique constraints without an
underlying index?

            regards, tom lane