Re: "smart" shutdown is broken in HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: "smart" shutdown is broken in HEAD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> "pg_ctl stop" seems to be causing a fast stop today.

> What's the evidence for that? I can't see any on the buildfarm.

I don't think the buildfarm does anything that would prove it one way or
the other.  But I find that if I start the postmaster, start a session,
issue "pg_ctl stop" (with or without "-m smart"), the stop completes
immediately and I'm left with a dead psql:

regression=# select 1;
FATAL:  terminating connection due to administrator command
server closed the connection unexpectedly       This probably means the server terminated abnormally       before or
whileprocessing the request.

Once the postmaster has been up for a little bit this seems not to happen
anymore, which means it could have been that way for awhile without
anyone noticing.  I'm not sure yet how long is "a little bit" --- seems
to be more than a minute, which destroys my first theory that the first
autovac launch was involved...