Re: Why the asprintf patch is still breaking the buildfarm - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why the asprintf patch is still breaking the buildfarm
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 4:00 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Yeah.  As a separate matter, it might be useful to revise stringinfo.c
>> and the asprintf code so that *if* the returned value is larger than the
>> given buffer size, we use it as a guide to resizing, avoiding the possible
>> need to loop multiple times to make the buffer large enough.  And we could
>> also improve our own implementation of snprintf to follow the C99 spec.

> Attached is a draft patch which implements this.

I started working on a very similar patch last night, but then began to
wonder if it wouldn't be better to try to share code between stringinfo.c
and psprintf.c --- that is, expose the latter's pvsnprintf and use that
in stringinfo.