Re: trying to track down postgres deaths - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: trying to track down postgres deaths
Date
List pgsql-general
Geoffrey <esoteric@3times25.net> writes:
> Question is, when I see:
> #17 0x08151bc5 in ClosePostmasterPorts ()
> in the stack trace of the process, is this an indicator that the backend
> process was trying to shutdown?

No; that's a function that's executed immediately after fork() to close
postmaster sockets that the backend doesn't need to have open.  It's
highly unlikely that you'd get a crash in there, and even more improbable
that it'd be 17 levels down the call stack.  My bet is that you are
trying to debug with a non-debug-enabled build, and gdb is giving you a
less than accurate stack trace.

Rebuild with --enable-debug, and maybe also --enable-cassert, and see
what you can learn.

            regards, tom lane