Re: Extended query: prepared statements list? - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Extended query: prepared statements list?
Date
List pgsql-novice
"M. Bastin" <marcbastin@mindspring.com> writes:
> Is there a query on some system table that will list all names of
> prepared statements?

No, since they are never stored on disk.  We could think of providing
some operation in the FE/BE protocol to list the available statements,
perhaps.  (In retrospect I guess it was a mistake to have the Describe
message raise a hard error for no-such-statement.  If it just sent
back a message without aborting your transaction, you could use Describe
to probe whether you'd prepared a given name yet.)

Same comments apply to Portals I suppose.

If you'd like to lobby to get this changed, pgsql-novice is not the
place; pgsql-interfaces or pgsql-hackers would be more appropriate.

            regards, tom lane