Re: Getting to 9.3 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting to 9.3 beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2013-03-29 10:15:42 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> What is a reasonable timeframe to target for completion of these items?

> Here's my take on it:

Thanks for annotating these!  I've commented on the ones where I
come to a different conclusion:

> - replace plugins directory with GUC
>   Peter has agreed to boot it to the next fest afaics
>   (515357F4.6000307@gmx.net)
>   => move (done)

It looks to me more like a RWF situation, since Peter has evidently lost
interest in committing this feature at all.  So I marked it that way.

> - Patch to compute Max LSN of Data Pages:
>   I *personally* don't really see a point in including it in postgres,
>   there doesn't really seem to be any real demand met by the tool
>   => reject?

Not sure.  It certainly hasn't drawn that much enthusiasm on the list,
but it strikes me as the sort of thing that when you need it you really
need it.  It would be interesting to hear opinions about it from people
who deal with data recovery situations on a regular basis.

> - REINDEX CONCURRENTLY:
>   Imo pretty close to being comittable and pretty useful, but it got
>   redesigned pretty late and it mostly had review from me and fujii and
>   it could use a bit more input
>   => unclear

I think this really has no hope of being bulletproof until we have
MVCC-based catalog scans.  The work up to now has been good exploratory
effort, but it's not going to be committable without that
infrastructure, IMHO anyway.

> - psql watch
>   Waiting on author since 4 days
>   => wait or boot?

If there is agreement on the basic design of the feature, ie
"\watch [n]" as a repeating version of "\g", it seems to me that
this could be fixed and committed in a day or less.  I'd be willing
to look at it sometime next week.

> - transforms:
>   I am not sure what solution is proposed for the dependency issue
>   between shared objects.
>   There also hasn't been code level review for a while...
>   => unclear

Needs to be moved; no way this is ready in the next week or two.