Re: Add A Glossary - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jürgen Purtz
Subject Re: Add A Glossary
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 21.03.20 00:03, Justin Pryzby wrote:
+   <glossentry id="glossary-host">
+    <glossterm>Host</glossterm>
+    <glossdef>
+     <para>
+      See <glossterm>Server</glossterm>.
Or client.  Or proxy at some layer or other intermediate thing.  Maybe just
remove this.
Sometimes the term "host" is used in a different meaning. Therefor we shall
have this glossary entry for clarification that it shall be used only in the
sense of a "server".
I think that suggests just removing "host" and consistently saying "server".

"server", "host", "database server": All three terms are used intensively in the documentation. When we define glossary terms, we should also take into account the consequences for those parts. "database server" is the most diffuse. E.g.: In 'config.sgml' he is used in the sense of some hardware or VM "... If you have a dedicated database server with 1GB or more of RAM ..." as well as in the sense of an instance "... To start the database server on the command prompt ...". Additionally the term is completely misleading. In both cases we do not mean something which is related to a database but something which is related to a cluster.

In the past, people accepted such blurs. My - minimal - intention is to raise awareness of such ambiguities, or - better - to clearly define the situation in the glossary. But this is only a first step. The second step shall be a rework of the documentation to use the preferred terms defined in the glossary. Because there will be a time gap between the two steps, we may want to be a little chatty in the glossary and define ambiguous terms as shown in the following example:

---

Server: The term "Server" denotes ....  .

Host: An outdated term which will be replaced by <xref-to-the-glossary>Server</xref> over time.

Database Server: An outdated term which sometimes denotes a <xref-to-the-glossary>Server</xref> and sometimes an <xref-to-the-glossary>Instance</xref>.

---

This is a pattern for all terms which we currently described with the phrase "See ...". Later, after reviewing the documentation by eliminating the non-preferred terms, the glossary entries with "An outdated term ..." can be dropped.

In the last days we have seen many huge and small proposals. I think, it will be helpful to summarize this work by waiting for a patch from Alvaro containing everything it deems useful from his point of view.

Kind regards, Jürgen