Re: Sampling Profler for Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Sampling Profler for Postgres
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On March 10, 2009, Tom Lane wrote:
>> FWIW, the systemtap guys are really, really close to having a working
>> DTrace equivalent for Linux:
>> http://gnu.wildebeest.org/diary/2009/02/24/systemtap-09-markers-everywhere/

> So how is this going?  Is it usable?  I assume it's source compatible
> with the dtrace support that we already have?

Their SCM tip successfully builds our code with --enable-dtrace.
I haven't gotten any further with it than to try the sample script
linked on the page above, but that seemed to work (on a Fedora 10
x86_64 box).

The current 0.9 release does *not* work on our CVS tip (dtrace fails
on more-than-6-argument probes, and there are some other issues),
but you can pull from their git repository:
 install elfutils-devel git clone git://sources.redhat.com/git/systemtap.git configure --prefix=SOMEWHERE make all sudo
makeinstall

Then build PG with
 PATH=SOMEWHERE/bin:$PATH configure --with-includes=SOMEWHERE/include --enable-dtrace