Re: Remaining beta blockers - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Remaining beta blockers
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 2013-05-03 12:10:14 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Right.  The whole thing is just a kluge, which I'm convinced we'll
>> regret sooner or later --- probably sooner.

> I tentatively agree as well. The only argument for introducing some
> additional location for such information is that it would be the start
> of an infrastructure for information we would need for incrementally
> adding checksums, page upgrades and such.

It's possible that a metadata fork would be a good design for such
stuff, but I'd want to see a pretty completely worked-out design before
committing to the idea.  In any case we're way too late in the 9.3 cycle
to be considering something like that right now.