Re: Why ACL_EXECUTE is checked on FindConversion()? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Why ACL_EXECUTE is checked on FindConversion()?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
KaiGai Kohei <kaigai@ak.jp.nec.com> writes:
> When FindConversion() is called, it also checks current user's ACL_EXECUTE
> privilege on the conproc of the fetched conversion.

> Why this check is applied on FindConversion(), instead of FindDefaultConversion()?

Does seem pretty inconsistent, doesn't it?

The original idea may have been to provide a substitute for a USAGE
ACL check on conversions, in which case it's not totally insane: if
you make a conversion default then you're implicitly granting it to
public.  But there's no documentation about this.

Offhand I see no really good reason to have a usage check on
conversions, and would be happy with removing this one.  The function
permission check at CREATE CONVERSION time ought to be sufficient.