Re: pgsql: Improve error messages in md.c. - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql: Improve error messages in md.c.
Date
List pgsql-committers
heikki@postgresql.org (Heikki Linnakangas) writes:
> This makes messages that display block numbers a bit confusing. For example,
> in message 'could not read block 150000 of file "base/1234/5678.1"', 150000
> is the block number from the beginning of the relation, ie. segment 0, not
> 150000th block within that segment. Per discussion, users aren't usually
> interested in the exact location within the file, so we can live with that.

While reading your commit message, it occurred to me that perhaps a
small wording tweak would help.  How about 'could not read block 150000
in file "foo"', rather than "of" file foo?  This states correctly that
the block is *in* that file, without implying that the naming of the
block is relative to the file.

The distinction might be a bit too subtle to help non-native speakers
of English, but it seems to me to read a little better that way.

            regards, tom lane