Re: The efficient method to create trigger - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: The efficient method to create trigger
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Jignesh Shah <jignesh.shah1980@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks but I already read about everything about PostgrSQL and don't want to read LogTable. Could any one please give me or point me some of Perl or C trigger examples that uses spi_prepare.

Thanks a lot,
Jignesh

On Tue, Aug 18, 2009 at 4:09 PM, A. Kretschmer <andreas.kretschmer@schollglas.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to PostgreSQL. I learnt most of things from postgresql.org site. I
> want to write a trigger for on my table tech_projects such that whenever
> INSERT, UPDATE or DELETE happen on this table, the trigger should get called
> and the updated/deleted row must be added to tech_projects_backup table.
> Moreover, if there are more than one row updated then I don't want to reiterate
> the client-server communication for each row but instead it should process all
> rows at once.

Triggers operate on the server only.  There is no client-server communication for executing a trigger at the row level or at the statement level.

Sean