Re: column size and storage efficiency - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: column size and storage efficiency
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 8:51 PM, Bruce Hyatt <brucejhyatt@yahoo.com> wrote:
My inclination when creating tables is to create columns using varchar-sizes in increments of 10 or 5 but I suspect there must be more-efficient sizes, specifically, values like 16, 32, 64 minus header-bits.

- Is this true? Does it really have much impact on storage?
- How many bits are the headers?
- How does TOAST factor in?

Believe it or not, specifying the varchar size has no impact on storage size.  So, a varchar and a varchar(2) if both have two characters take the same storage space.

Toast is described pretty well in the documentation (better than I can describe it).

Sean