Re: postgres launch os applications - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: postgres launch os applications
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 1:13 PM, Ertel, Steve <Steve.Ertel@infimatic.com> wrote:
> I am trying to start an OS executable every time that a table is updated.  I
> know that I should create a trigger on the table, but how do I launch the OS
> executable.  I have a background in sql server.  In it we would use
> something like xsp_execute().  I am looking for the equivalent function call
> in Postgres.

You cannot do this with any "trusted" language (which includes
pg/plsql).  However, you can use any of the untrusted languages like
pl/python, pl/perl, pl/java, pl/tcl, etc.  Of course, each of those
languages has its own specifics dealing with starting executables.

Sean