Re: create database from text file, to delete columns - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: create database from text file, to delete columns
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:43 AM, e-letter <inpost@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2008, Sean Davis <sdavis2@mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>  >
>  > You will still need to create all the columns for your table first.
>  >  Also, I think you'll want to look at the documentation for the copy
>  >  command, as what you give above should probably result in an error.
>  >
>  So columns cannot be automatically created. The documentation is poor,
>  for example the 'explanation' of the use of |stdin should really
>  explain that as an alternative

No.  Columns are not automatically created.  As for documentation,
what you see is the standard way of describing SQL.  I agree it can be
confusing in the beginning.

If all you want to do is load data into a database to look at it, you
might look at MS Access or Filemaker.  I don't recommend these as
database solutions, but as more of an excel replacement.

Sean