Re: 2Q: Vacuuming and making queries case insensitive - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: 2Q: Vacuuming and making queries case insensitive
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Jan 27, 2008 8:07 PM, sdger erger <killen.nextdoor@gmail.com> wrote:
I am using PostgreSQL through the command line. I have written a small application that retrieves me information from a database. I have figured most things I need to know out. But I have two questions I hope you guys can help me with.

Is there any command line script that can make the database run faster? Like vacuuming or something. I'm sorry to ask what is surly a very simple question. But everything is hard to the very inexperienced.

You'll need to tell us what is slow.  Use the "explain" command and post the results here.  For example:

explain select stuff from table where name ilike 'phil';

I also wonder if it is possible to make command line searches case insensitive? Like when I write WHERE name='PHIL' I want it to be the same as WHERE name='phil'.

where name ilike 'phil'.

Sean