Re: autoincrement question - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Sean Davis
Subject Re: autoincrement question
Date
List pgsql-novice

On Jan 7, 2008 3:57 PM, Jack Albright <jack@mobiusnm.com> wrote:
I'm new to the list and new to postgreSQL.
I usually work in mySQL.
I'm using NaviCat to manipulate my postgreSQL db.

QUESTION:
What is the best way for a novice like me to  make my  primary key ID
column   auto-increment?  It is a basic integer column.

 Also, do I need to set a default value  for my primary keys?

In MySQL (using phpMyAdmin) it's a simple matter of checking a
checkbox. What is the recommended way to do this in postgres?

A column of type "serial" will be a simple integer column that gets its values from a sequence, which will be automatically created.  In other words:

create table junktable (
     pk1 serial primary key
);

will get you what you want.  Check out the docs for the "serial" column type.

Sean