plpython and error catching - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sean Davis
Subject plpython and error catching
Date
List pgsql-general
What is the expected behavior of a construct like this:

def insert_xml(elem):
    id=int(elem.findtext('PMID'))
    try:
        plpy.execute(plan,[unicode(ET.tostring(elem)),id])
    except:
        plpy.execute(plan2,[unicode(ET.tostring(elem)),id])

id is a primary key on the table into which I am inserting.  "plan" is
the execute plan for inserting new data.  "plan2" is for updating data
already in the database.  When I run this, I am not able to catch
errors of this type:

WARNING:  plpython: in function insert_medline_file:
DETAIL:  plpy.Error: Unknown error in PLy_spi_execute_plan
ERROR:  duplicate key value violates unique constraint "medlinexml_pkey"
CONTEXT:  SQL statement "insert into medlinexml(content,id) values
(xmlparse(CONTENT $1),$2)"

Why am I not able to catch this error and execute the update plan?
The manual (8.3beta2) implies that errors generated in functions are
genuine python errors that I should be able to catch.

Thanks,
Sean