Re: Include files for SPI are not installed - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Include files for SPI are not installed
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org> writes:
> Karel Zak wrote:
>> I expect header files on /usr/include/pgsql for client programming not
>> for SPI.

> Why?  I know of several people doing SPI work with no source tree
> installed.

I agree with Karel on this --- it's difficult to visualize doing useful
SPI work without a source tree at hand, and it also seems unlikely that
SPI authors would get along for long with *only* those header files
needed to pull in spi.h.  So I think it's pretty pointless to add just
those header files.

What would make more sense is for the standard install to install only
those headers needed for *client side* programming, and then to have
an optional install target that installs the whole darn src/include
tree.  (Or in RPM terms, a client-devel RPM and a separate server-devel
RPM that adds the rest of src/include.)  Anything in between is
guaranteed to be the wrong set of files.