Re: Indexes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Indexes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> mlw said:
>>> Does anyone think it would be a good idea, or is it even practical, to
>>> have a 'indx' subdirectory along side of the 'base' directory?
>>>
>>> I was thinking that, if it were an easy modification, that it could be
>>> an easy way to separate data and indexes to different hard disks.

This and other quick hacks have been discussed before.  I think the
consensus has been to do nothing until someone gets around to writing
a general-purpose tablespace implementation.

FWIW, I don't think it would be an easy modification.  The low-level
file access code doesn't even know whether a given relation is an index
or not (... and I don't think it should know).  By the time you get done
implementing something reasonable at that level, you've got the
infrastructure you need for tablespaces.