Re: [BUGS] BUG #2221: Bad delimiters allowed in COPY ... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [BUGS] BUG #2221: Bad delimiters allowed in COPY ...
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Attached is a patch that errors for \r and \n in delimiter and null.  I
> kept the ERRCODE_FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED error code because that is what
> all the other error tests use in the copy code in that area.

I'd go with INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE, I think.  ISTM that
FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED is appropriate for places where we might someday
support the case the error is rejecting.  For instance the error just
above your patch is for a multi-character delimiter string.  That isn't
completely senseless, it's just not implemented.  But we're not ever
going to allow a delimiter setting that conflicts with end-of-line,
and I don't foresee allowing some other value for end-of-line ;-)
... so this check isn't going to be removed someday.

            regards, tom lane