Re: beginner: what permissions required to install on windows 2000+ - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dee
Subject Re: beginner: what permissions required to install on windows 2000+
Date
List pgsql-general
FOLLOW UP FOR THE ARCHIVES:
Thanks to some assistance from another forum, I was finally able to install version 8.2, using the filemon.exe utitlity to track down file permission problems. Here are the changes I made. Disclaimer, I tried a lot of different things, so it may not be everything.

Installers:
Success with installers: 8.1.11-1, 8.2.5-1 and 8.2.6-2

1. Created windows user name: postgres

2. Under Local security policy > granted user rights assignment:
- Log on as service
- Log on locally

3. Granted "postgres" account
- Read & Execute permission
- Read permission

On the following files:
=======================================
C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe
C:\WINNT\system32\WSOCK32.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\WS2_32.DLL
C:\WINNT\system32\WS2HELP.DLL
C:\WINNT\system32\SHFOLDER.DLL
C:\WINNT\system32\IMM32.DLL
C:\WINNT\System32\rnr20.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\DNSAPI.DLL
C:\WINNT\System32\winrnr.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\iphlpapi.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\rasadhlp.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\msafd.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\ICMP.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\RTUTILS.DLL
C:\WINNT\System32\wshtcpip.dll
C:\WINNT\system32\netmsg.dll

4. Granted "postgres" account
- Read & Execute permission
- List Folder Contents
- Read permission

On the following folders:
C:\Documents and Settings\

Note: 8.3.0-1 never would install. Whenever I tried to use an existing windows account, the installer returns the error "
Invalid username specified: A required privilege is not held by the client"

Dee <devlists.email@yahoo.com> wrote:
Anybody else have any other suggestions?

Please CC me on any responses, so I can respond promptly.