Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> And there seems nothing diffcult to implement this. Is that true?
>>
>> No.

> Eh? There's nothing difficult in implementing it.

> But there are a lot of other constants dependant on this value which
> are currently compile-time constants.

Exactly, and we rely on them being constants, eg to size arrays.

There's no free lunch, and in this particular case there is no evidence
whatsoever that it'd be worth the trouble to support run-time-variable
BLCKSZ.