Re: segmentation fault postgres 9.3.5 core dump perlu related ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: segmentation fault postgres 9.3.5 core dump perlu related ?
Date
Re: segmentation fault postgres 9.3.5 core dump perlu related ?  ("Day, David" <dday@redcom.com>)
List pgsql-general
"Day, David" <dday@redcom.com> writes:
> We are developing on and  running Postgres 9.3.5 on  FreeBsd 10.0-p12.
> We have been experiencing a intermittent postgres core dump which
> Seems primarily to be associated with the the 2  functions below.

> Given the onset of this problem,  we suspect it has something to do with the addition of  DNS lookup within the our
perlufunction cc.get_sip_id(...).

So this bit is new?

>     open my $fh, "/sbin/route get $host |";

I wonder if your version of Perl thinks this is sufficient license to go
multithreaded or something like that.  That could be problematic.  You
might try looking to see if a backend process that's successfully executed
this code now contains multiple threads.

It's difficult to offer much help on the basis of the info provided.
One comment is that the stack trace you show is completely nonsensical:
functions by those names do exist in PG, but the calling order shown
is impossible.  So it seems there's some problem in how you rebuilt
with debug symbols --- maybe the symbols being used don't match the
executable?  I'm not a FreeBSD user so I have no useful speculation
to offer about how such a mixup might occur on that platform.

            regards, tom lane