Re: factor out encoding dependent json/jsonb regression tests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: factor out encoding dependent json/jsonb regression tests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> I'm rather tired of having to update two sets of output files every time
> we change the json and jsonb regression tests. Also, other committers
> occasionally fall over this trap and fail to update json_1.out and
> jsonb_1.out, as do almost all other patch authors. I propose that we
> remove those tests to quite small json_utf8.sql and jsonb_utf8.sql
> (which will each have 2 output files) and that will allow us to get rid
> of json_1.out and jsonb_1.out. I'd like to backpatch this to 9.4 for
> jsonb and 9.2 for json. Alternatively, for >= 9.4 we could just add the
> jsonb encoding-specific tests to json_utf8.sql, to avoid a greater
> proliferation of tests.

I'd vote for your alternative plan (ie, just one new regression .sql
file).  It will be so small that having two even-smaller ones seems silly.

Is "json_utf8" really the best name, or should it be "json_encoding"?