Re: Unique Index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From vhikida@inreach.com
Subject Re: Unique Index
Date
List pgsql-general
According to Date you should never use NULLs. This is because a NULL can
mean many different things. It can mean not known (e.g. I know he has an
age but I don't know what it is), It can be not applicable (e.g. in a
Party table of organizations and people, people would be of a certain sex
but an organization would not), It can mean a number divided by zero, It
can also mean I don't know if the value is unknown or if the value is not
applicable etc. etc. In Date's view there is an infinite number of
meanings for null and for a database to handle it correctly would require
an equivalent set of operators for each type of null.

I think though that Nulls are a very useful feature of SQL databases. It's
just that when I write a program, I have to know in a particular context
what a null means and handle it appropriately (of course controlling nulls
in an index is a different matter). I don't think there is only one
accepted way to use nulls.