Re: pg_dumpall - restoration problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_dumpall - restoration problem
Date
List pgsql-general
Tony Bazeley <tonyb@tonyb.id.au> writes:
> I've a problem with restoring a cluster created with pg_dump_all from 14.8
> ( pg_dumpall >pgall.out and then psql -f pgall.out postgres).
> Attempting to restore to postgresql-16 results in errors

> 2024-04-05 22:17:15.418 ACDT [6565] postgres@tonbaz ERROR:  collation
> "pg_catalog.C.UTF-8" for encoding "UTF8" does not exist at character 366

> I don't understand the class text COLLATE pg_catalog."C.UTF-8"  syntax, but
> select * from pg_collation shows a C.UTF8 but no C.UTF-8

I take it you are trying to restore onto a different OS platform with
different locale naming conventions.  The easiest way to deal with it
probably is to edit the dump file and change "C.UTF-8" to "C.UTF8"
everywhere.  (Manually editing an 8G dump file might be no fun, but
"sed" should make short work of it.)

            regards, tom lane