Re: BUG #18581: psql symbol append_history not found when quitting - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Rainer J.H. Brandt
Subject Re: BUG #18581: psql symbol append_history not found when quitting
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Tom Lane writes:
> PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> > When leaving a psql session via \q in 15.8 (which I built today under Oracle
> > Solaris 11.4), I get:
> >  ld.so.1: psql: fatal: relocation error: file
> > /opt/postgres/15-pgdg/bin/64/psql: symbol append_history: referenced symbol
> > not found
> > Killed
>
> Hmmm...
>
> > Isn't the a "pg_" missing on line 462?
>
> No.  That's intending to call the readline function append_history.
> That call has been there since 2009.  I'm not sure what changed
> between your 15.6 and 15.8 builds, but that wasn't it.
You're right.  The error was mine.

I overlooked that the build machine had a newer libedit library than
the machine on which I tried to use psql.  The newer libedit defines
append_history, and so the build process used it, but the older libedit
doesn't define it.

Sorry for the noise.
Thanks, Rainer