Re: Suggested fix for \p and \r in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Suggested fix for \p and \r in psql
Date
Re: Suggested fix for \p and \r in psql  ("Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org> writes:
> I've noticed two issues with the query buffer post-commit e984ef5
> (Support \if ... \elif ... \else ... \endif in psql scripting):

> 1. \p ignores the "previous buffer". Example:

Yeah, I did that intentionally, thinking that the old behavior was
confusing.  We can certainly discuss it though.  I'd tend to agree
with your point that \p and \w should print the same thing, but
maybe neither of them should look at the previous_buf.

> 2. \r keeps the "previous buffer". I think it should clear it.

I don't really agree with this.  The fact that it used to clear both
buffers was an implementation accident that probably nobody had even
understood clearly.  ISTM that loses functionality because you can't
do \g anymore.