Re: 10 missing features - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)
Subject Re: 10 missing features
Date
List pgsql-general

For those types of systems - lack of a true audit log is probably a bigger barrier.  The biggest "missing feature" are
goingto depend on your problem space.

>  Form this what I was interested and saw:
>  * I think he good pointed that logging indices, may be unneeded, as
>  those can be recreated.

Whether this is acceptable depends on your system.  Yes they can be recreated with a number of caveats

-performance for many systems will be poor until some (or all) indexes are back.  If you have SLA's based around
performanceyou can extend your outage until the indexes get rebuilt.

-Indexes are used to enforce primary keys.  Are you comfortable running temporarily without your primary keys?
-Some replication engines rely on primary keys or unique indexes.  Losing these could break replication for you.

I think if you could control this on a per-index basis though it could be a win.

Brad