Re: Threaded Sorting - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Threaded Sorting
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> ...  But ISTM that if this makes sense for
>> our internal temp files, it makes sense for user-created temp tables
>> as well.

> Yes, I was thinking that, but of course, those are real tables, rather
> than just files.  Not sure how clean it will be to mix those in the same
> directory.  We haven't in the past.  Is it a good idea?

Sure we have --- up till recently, pg_temp files just lived in the
database directory.  I think it was you that added the pg_temp
subdirectory, and the reason you did it was to let people symlink the
temp files to someplace else.  But that's just a zeroth-order
approximation to providing a tablespace facility for these things.