Re: Add YAML option to explain - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Sabino Mullane
Subject Re: Add YAML option to explain
Date
Re: Add YAML option to explain  (daveg <daveg@sonic.net>)
List pgsql-hackers

> Greg, can we see a few examples of the YAML output
> compared to both json and text?

Sure. Be warned it will make this email long. Because email may wrap things
funny, I'll post the same thing here:

Query 1:
http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/298pqiSwdH

Note that YAML quotes things like JSON does, but only when the quotes are needed.
Query 2:
http://pgsql.privatepaste.com/610uDDyMu6

greg=# explain (format text, analyze on) select * from pg_class where relname ~ 'x' order by 1,2,3;
                           QUERY PLAN

- --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sort
(cost=12.82..13.10rows=111 width=185) (actual time=1.176..1.401 rows=105 loops=1)                         Sort Key:
relname,relnamespace, reltype                                                                       Sort Method:
quicksort Memory: 44kB                                                                          ->  Seq Scan on
pg_class (cost=0.00..9.05 rows=111 width=185) (actual time=0.066..0.828 rows=105 loops=1)           Filter: (relname ~
'x'::text)                                                                         Total runtime: 1.676 ms

greg=# explain (format json, analyze on) select * from pg_class where relname ~ 'x' order by 1,2,3;
 QUERY PLAN

- -----------------------------------------------------------                                      [
                                                                              {
                                                         "Plan": {
                                    "Node Type": "Sort",
             "Startup Cost": 12.82,                                                                            "Total
Cost":13.10,                                                                              "Plan Rows": 111,
                                                                   "Plan Width": 185,
                                            "Actual Startup Time": 1.152,
                     "Actual Total Time": 1.373,
"ActualRows": 105,                                                                               "Actual Loops": 1,
                                                                          "Sort Key": ["relname", "relnamespace",
"reltype"],                                              "Sort Method": "quicksort",
                                  "Sort Space Used": 44,
           "Sort Space Type": "Memory",                                                                      "Plans": [
                                                                                        {
                                                                   "Node Type": "Seq Scan",
                                            "Parent Relationship": "Outer",
                     "Relation Name": "pg_class",
"Alias":"pg_class",                                                                              "Startup Cost": 0.00,
                                                                          "Total Cost": 9.05,
                                                   "Plan Rows": 111,
                            "Plan Width": 185,
     "Actual Startup Time": 0.067,                                                                     "Actual Total
Time":0.817,                                                                       "Actual Rows": 105,
                                                            "Actual Loops": 1,
                                     "Filter": "(relname ~ 'x'::text)"
            }                                                                                               ]
                                                                                   },
                                                            "Triggers": [
                                     ],
              "Total Runtime": 1.649                                                                          }
                                                                                     ]

greg=# explain (format yaml, analyze on) select * from pg_class where relname ~ 'x' order by 1,2,3;             QUERY
PLAN

- ---------------------------------------                                                          -
                                                                              Plan:
                                                         Node Type: Sort
                                  Startup Cost: 12.82
           Total Cost: 13.10                                                                                 Plan Rows:
111                                                                                   Plan Width: 185
                                                               Actual Startup Time: 1.159
                                        Actual Total Time: 1.391
                 Actual Rows: 105
ActualLoops: 1                                                                                   Sort Key:
                                                                            - relname
                                                     - relnamespace
                              - reltype
     Sort Method: quicksort                                                                            Sort Space Used:
44                                                                              Sort Space Type: Memory
                                                         Plans:
                                    -
               Node Type: Seq Scan                                                                               Parent
Relationship:Outer                                                                        Relation Name: pg_class
                                                                   Alias: pg_class
                                            Startup Cost: 0.00
                     Total Cost: 9.05
PlanRows: 111                                                                                    Plan Width: 185
                                                                          Actual Startup Time: 0.067
                                                   Actual Total Time: 0.829
                            Actual Rows: 105
     Actual Loops: 1                                                                                   Filter: (relname
~'x'::text)                                                               Triggers:
                                                   Total Runtime: 1.671

greg=# explain (format xml, analyze on) select * from pg_class where relname ~ 'x' order by 1,2,3;
 QUERY PLAN

- ------------------------------------------------------------                                    <explain
xmlns="http://www.postgresql.org/2009/explain">                                          <Query>
                                                                   <Plan>
                                             <Node-Type>Sort</Node-Type>
                     <Startup-Cost>12.82</Startup-Cost>
<Total-Cost>13.10</Total-Cost>
<Plan-Rows>111</Plan-Rows>
<Plan-Width>185</Plan-Width>
<Actual-Startup-Time>1.154</Actual-Startup-Time>
<Actual-Total-Time>1.382</Actual-Total-Time>
<Actual-Rows>105</Actual-Rows>
<Actual-Loops>1</Actual-Loops>                                                                  <Sort-Key>
                                                                          <Item>relname</Item>
                                                  <Item>relnamespace</Item>
                          <Item>reltype</Item>
</Sort-Key>
<Sort-Method>quicksort</Sort-Method>
<Sort-Space-Used>44</Sort-Space-Used>
<Sort-Space-Type>Memory</Sort-Space-Type>                                                       <Plans>
                                                                          <Plan>
                                                    <Node-Type>Seq Scan</Node-Type>
                            <Parent-Relationship>Outer</Parent-Relationship>
    <Relation-Name>pg_class</Relation-Name>
<Alias>pg_class</Alias>
<Startup-Cost>0.00</Startup-Cost>
<Total-Cost>9.05</Total-Cost>
<Plan-Rows>111</Plan-Rows>
<Plan-Width>185</Plan-Width>
<Actual-Startup-Time>0.066</Actual-Startup-Time>
<Actual-Total-Time>0.837</Actual-Total-Time>
<Actual-Rows>105</Actual-Rows>
<Actual-Loops>1</Actual-Loops>                                                                  <Filter>(relname ~
'x'::text)</Filter>                                                        </Plan>
                                                 </Plans>
                       </Plan>
<Triggers>                                                                                      </Triggers>
                                                                        <Total-Runtime>1.655</Total-Runtime>
                                              </Query>
                    </explain>

An example with embedded quotes:

greg=# explain (format text, analyze on) select 1 from pg_class where relname = 'foo"bar"';
                              QUERY PLAN

-
Scanusing pg_class_relname_nsp_index on pg_class  (cost=0.00..8.27 rows=1 width=0) (actual time=0.018..0.018 rows=0
loops=1)
        Index Cond: (relname = 'foo"bar"'::name)
          Total runtime: 0.056 ms

greg=# explain (format json, analyze on) select 1 from pg_class where relname = 'foo"bar"';                     QUERY
PLAN

- ------------------------------------------------------                                   [
                                                              {
                                 "Plan": {
    "Node Type": "Index Scan",                                                                "Scan Direction":
"Forward",                                                             "Index Name": "pg_class_relname_nsp_index",
                                        "Relation Name": "pg_class",
         "Alias": "pg_class",                                                                      "Startup Cost":
0.00,                                                                    "Total Cost": 8.27,
                                          "Plan Rows": 1,
           "Plan Width": 0,                                                                          "Actual Startup
Time":0.015,                                                             "Actual Total Time": 0.015,
                                          "Actual Rows": 0,
           "Actual Loops": 1,                                                                        "Index Cond":
"(relname= 'foo\"bar\"'::name)"                                          },
                                          "Triggers": [
           ],                                                                                        "Total Runtime":
0.046                                                                 }
                                     ]

greg=# explain (format yaml, analyze on) select 1 from pg_class where relname = 'foo"bar"';                   QUERY
PLAN

- --------------------------------------------------                                       -
                                                              Plan:
                                 Node Type: Index Scan
  Scan Direction: Forward                                                                   Index Name:
pg_class_relname_nsp_index                                                   Relation Name: pg_class
                                              Alias: pg_class
               Startup Cost: 0.00                                                                        Total Cost:
8.27                                                                         Plan Rows: 1
                                              Plan Width: 0
               Actual Startup Time: 0.019                                                                Actual Total
Time:0.019                                                                  Actual Rows: 0
                                             Actual Loops: 1
              Index Cond: "(relname = 'foo\"bar\"'::name)"                                            Triggers:
                                                                       Total Runtime: 0.058

greg=# explain (format xml, analyze on) select 1 from pg_class where relname = 'foo"bar"';                        QUERY
PLAN

- -------------------------------------------------------------                           <explain
xmlns="http://www.postgresql.org/2009/explain">                                  <Query>
                                                   <Plan>
                     <Node-Type>Index Scan</Node-Type>
<Scan-Direction>Forward</Scan-Direction>
<Index-Name>pg_class_relname_nsp_index</Index-Name>
<Relation-Name>pg_class</Relation-Name>     <Alias>pg_class</Alias>      <Startup-Cost>0.00</Startup-Cost>
<Total-Cost>8.27</Total-Cost>     <Plan-Rows>1</Plan-Rows>      <Plan-Width>0</Plan-Width>
<Actual-Startup-Time>0.013</Actual-Startup-Time>     <Actual-Total-Time>0.013</Actual-Total-Time>
<Actual-Rows>0</Actual-Rows>     <Actual-Loops>1</Actual-Loops>      <Index-Cond>(relname =
'foo"bar"'::name)</Index-Cond>   </Plan>    <Triggers>    </Triggers>    <Total-Runtime>0.049</Total-Runtime>
</Query></explain>

- --
Greg Sabino Mullane greg@turnstep.com
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200908311000