Re: More WITH - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More WITH
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> writes:
> On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:22 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>> Would be tricky.  We don't currently have any way to wrap an EXPLAIN in
>> any larger statement, do we?  Would be very useful for automated query
>> analysis, though.

> No. In the grammar, ExplainStmt expects the EXPLAIN to be at the
> top-level. Having it work any other way would require significant
> refactoring.

You can use EXPLAIN as the source of rows in a plpgsql FOR-over-query
loop, so there's a workaround available that way when you need to read
EXPLAIN output programmatically.  I'm not convinced there's sufficient
value in trying to make EXPLAIN a full-fledged subquery otherwise.