Re: 7beta3 has naughty parser bug with ALTER USER .. PASSWORD - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 7beta3 has naughty parser bug with ALTER USER .. PASSWORD
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Mike S." <mikes1987@yahoo.com> writes:
> Attempting to give any user a password results in a nice parse error.

I think this was just fixed in the past few days.  The current
behavior seems to be consistent with the current documentation:
username is an SQL identifier (hence can appear in double quotes,
but need not) while password is a string constant (hence must appear
in single quotes).

> user.ps indicates that the ALTER command, the USER
> has no quotes and neither does the PASSWORD.

That doc is out of date.  We don't normally rebuild the .ps files
until just before release (too painful).  You can find an up-to-date
manual on-line at http://www.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/index.html

            regards, tom lane