Re: OID, 4billion+ Rows. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OID, 4billion+ Rows.
Date
List pgsql-general
"Joshua Schmidlkofer" <menion@srci.iwpsd.org> writes:
> I have a number of clients that retain large numbers of small
> transactions.  This could easily hit 4B+ at some sites.  Most rows would
> be 1k max, some may exceed that, average would be between 512bytes & 1k.

This would be a problem at the moment.  I'm expecting to see some sort
of fix for it in 7.2, however.  The simplest fix method would require a
complete-database VACUUM at least once every billion or so transactions;
but with the nonintrusive VACUUM that we're planning for 7.2, that
doesn't seem overly onerous.

            regards, tom lane