Re: [HACKERS] file descriptors leak? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] file descriptors leak?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Gene Sokolov" <hook@aktrad.ru> writes:
> Seems like there is (was) a leak of file descriptors somewhere. The
> descriptors are being used up like crazy.

I fixed some problems along that line during the 6.5 cycle, and thought
the issue closed.  Perhaps the problem's come back.

> After a week of work on a small
> database (6 tables, 20 or so indexes) Postgres used up well over 800
> descriptors.

Hmm, there must be multiple descriptors open for the same file then?
That's really weird.  Can you obtain a listing of just what is open,
using lsof or some similar tool?  Even better, can you provide a
reproducible test case that will cause descriptor leakage?

Also, exactly what do you mean by "Postgres used up..." --- is this
one backend, or a total across the whole system (if so, how many
backends are we talking about here?).