Re: Experimenting with hash tables inside pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Experimenting with hash tables inside pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Did you measure runtime of pg_dump, or how much CPU it used?

I was looking mostly at wall-clock runtime, though I did notice
that the CPU time looked about the same too.

> I think a lot of
> the time the backend is a bigger bottleneck than pg_dump...

Yeah, that.  I tried doing a system-wide "perf" measurement, and soon
realized that a big fraction of the time for a "pg_dump -s" run is
being spent in the planner :-(.  I'm currently experimenting with
PREPARE'ing pg_dump's repetitive queries, and it's looking very
promising.  More later.