Re: How to cancel a query if SIGINT does not work? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: How to cancel a query if SIGINT does not work?
Date
Optimize a VIEW question  (Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org>)
List pgsql-general
Adam Witney <awitney@sgul.ac.uk> writes:
> On 19/8/05 5:27 pm, "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> In theory that should always work.  What PG version is this?  Can you
>> attach to the stuck backend with gdb and get a stack trace?

> Am not particularly familiar with gdb, but if you tell me the steps I will
> do it and report back

Think I've posted this before, but:

Determine PID of backend you are interested in, eg with ps

As postgres user, do
    $ gdb /path/to/postgres-executable PID-of-process
    gdb prints a bunch of junk
    gdb> bt
    ... copy and paste the output given here ...
    gdb> quit
    gdb: ok to detach? y
    $

If you get a pile of purely numeric output from bt, it's useless
(means you're running symbol-stripped executables).  I'm hoping
for at least some function names.

            regards, tom lane