Re: PostgreSQL as a filesystem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL as a filesystem
Date
List pgsql-general
"Christopher Nelson" <paradox@BBHC.ORG> writes:
> I'm developing a hobby OS and I'm looking into file systems.  I've
> thought about writing my own, and that appeals, but I'm also very
> interested in the database-as-a-filesystem paradigm.  It would be nice
> to not have to write all of the stuff that goes into the DBMS (e.g.
> parsers, query schedulers, etc) myself.

> So I was wondering what sort of filesystem requirements Postgre has.

There are DB's you could use for this, but Postgres (not "Postgre",
please, there is no such animal) isn't one of them :-(.  We really
assume we are sitting on top of a full-spec file system --- we want
space management for variable-size files, robust storage of directory
information, etc.

Also, the things you typically expect to do with a filesystem, such as
drop many-megabytes files into it without blinking, don't match up very
well with the stuff that's fast in Postgres.

Bottom line is that it'd probably be doable, but it'd be a pain and
probably not perform real well...

            regards, tom lane